Monday, November 14, 2005

Syria, Day 24 of 85: A very tiny post

Good news! I've now officially been told by too many sources to ignore to stop talking politics here. Like, because it's best for me to stay apolitical. *cough* For all of you who wanted to debate, I'm sorry, but this ends the poli talk. I'm sure I'll hear about this from Ben at a later date. And by "hear about," I mean he'll come armed with graphs.

In far more exciting news, guess what I saw on TV the other day? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles dubbed over in Arabic. Not even the new season--the old one, some episode about gypsies and a train heist. It was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Vampire, David said...

I loved the old school Mutant Turtles. My fav was of course Rafael... but most associated me with Donatello. I can only imagine how "Cowabunga dudes!" translates into Arabic...

(It's not that I am opposed to talking poilitics Maggie... I am just thinking some of us worry that you're not having a good time in Syria... besides, poltical debates tend to create tensions and headaches and rifts that an already divided world probably doesn't need. But I am all for truth finding and question asking...)

So... here's some questions... how is the music scene in Damascus? What sort of music do you hear in the streets? Do they cry out the Muslem calls to prayer five times daily from the muezzins? Must be so cool to hear them. Any Western influenced music? Any good folk music?

Any cool sights you can describe? Museums? Architecure? What do you think of the culture so far?

I wish I was hanging out with you. You are so lucky to be seeing the world most of us only dream about.

Love Dave.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Sunita said...

Ooooo Ninja Turtles!

As for political debates, I'm not that well informed on this topic, so I haven't put in my two cents.

As for describing things, I would be interested in knowing what the health care system is like (since you said you do volunteer). Just for my own interest. Seeing as how I'm learning about health policy around the world, might as well get it from someone with first hand knowledge of it, then from a silly text book ^_^

5:32 AM  
Blogger T.M. Chiba said...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles now that brings back memories.

Now we'll have to see your view on Dubs vs. Subs. :P


Space Ghost: A stolen treasure map?
Zorak: A stolen treasure map?

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home